Friday, June 22, 2007

Quality Time, Schmality Time

After attending a seminar of sorts the other day, I have been wrestling with a new concept for me. Up until now, I have always thought I should give a lot of energy to making my life balance look pretty even. By this I mean, I could spend time working, but as long as I just hung out with my family that would be okay.

I also pondered the fact that I am very deliberate when it comes to work. I try to really think through all the day's/week's decisions that had to be made. What I've realized is that I don't give the same thoughts and concerns with my time at home. I am not planning like I plan at work. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!!???!!!! I'm not saying I'm an inconsiderate jerk or anything, just that I have placed more intentionality on my time at work.

So, I spoke with my wife and asked for her help in identifying ways that I can be more intentional at home. Man, if anyone has any good ideas....I'm ALL EARS!!!

Fire Away!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Derr,

1. Read "The Way of the Wild Heart" by John Eldredge.
2. Consider mapping out a game plan for what you wish to impart to your youngen during each stage of his development (i.e., from age 2-5 I intend to establish in Ezra's heart that he is the apple of his father's eye by...).
3. Seek God's wisdom for each development stage.
4. Consider your childhood. What was lacking from your father? How can you make sure (___________) is present in your relationship w/Ezra?

Love you bro. Love your heart. Love seeing you grow through the gift of fatherhood. You're definitely gonna be a great daddy!

Kyle