Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Yep, I Must Be A Germ-a-phobe

So, here's the situation. We're on a bus, traveling from San Jose to Puerto Viejo in Costa Rica. It's raining and traffic is at a standstill. Out of the blue, I've got that terrible feeling. One that nightmares are made of. Yep, the gurgling that won't stop until it's satisfied. Nope, I'm not talking about hunger. It's that, "you better clinch or else" kinda feeling that stops you in your tracks.

Now, I'm trying to remember the phrase..."Donde Esta El Bano?" I ask our guide to find the nearest rest stop and run into the restaurant looking for the "hombre" sign. Once inside the bathroom (which I was told was a clean one,) I discovered that the toilet was so close to the urinal, that once sitting on it, your knee had to rest on the side of the urinal. This didn't set too well with me. So, I applied an absurd amount of toilet paper (which you're not allowed to flush....nasty) to the end of my knee so that it didn't have to touch the side of the urinal.

I must say, since having gone on these trips, changing several diapers a day, and liking animals, I encounter a lot of germs. I'm not as much of a germaphobe as I used to be, but if you were in the situation that I was in...you'd have done the same.

No comments: